Happy New Year! I hope you all had an amazing holiday season. I’ve never set myself any New Years Resolutions, mainly because I know that I’ll never stick to them. For 2017, I thought I’d do something different and set myself some reading goals. I know it’s going to be hard because I have a lot more work to do for University in the new year, but I want to challenge myself. I’ve set 6 goals and hopefully, I’ll be able to complete at least one!
1) This year I really want to read more historical fiction. At school history was one of my favourite subjects but we were always limited to what it was that we studied. I’ve only read a few historical books but I’ve really enjoyed them so I’m excited to branch out and read some more historical books. If you’ve read any that you’ve really enjoyed, please recommend me some!
2) Read more classics. I’m almost certain that this is one of the ones that I know I’ll complete. For University, I have a long list of the books I need to read and a few are classics. I’m just really hoping that I enjoy them!
3) Read more diverse books. I think it’s extremely important for literature to reflect today’s culture and world that we live in. Looking at my bookshelves, I have very few books that are diverse and that’s something that I want to change in 2017.
4) Stop worrying about how much/how little I’m reading. In 2016, I found that I was worrying way too much about how slowly I was reading a book. In 2014 I set myself a goal of reading 100 books and somehow, I managed to read 104. Ever since then I’ve been trying to beat that (and failed). I don’t know how I managed to read that many books but I don’t want to pressure myself into reading books just to reach a number. I’m going to set my Goodreads reading goal pretty low this year, and just have fun reading again.
5) Reduce my TBR pile to 20 books. I think my to be read pile is currently at about 60 but this is including about 20 I need to read for University. I have no idea how my pile got this big but I either need to read them or get rid of some as they’ve been on my shelf for years. This is probably going to be the hardest one to complete as I’m constantly getting distracted by new releases.
6) Blog more! I love writing blog posts but it’s so hard finding the time when it comes to University deadlines. I’m going to try and post at least once a week, fingers crossed!
Those are my reading goals for 2017. I hope you all have an amazing year!